Have you always wanted to learn how to make a necklace? There is nothing better than customizing your neckpieces to fit your personality and aesthetic. The right piece of jewellery can add a sentimental touch to your outfit. However, it’s not always possible to find a necklace that fits your personality. You can avoid this by learning how to make a necklace.
There are a few simple steps to take while learning how to make a necklace. You’ll need to plan out your project and gather your supplies accordingly. You can try out a beaded or a pendant necklace for your first project. You could also try your hand at a floating bead necklace if you are looking for something more unique.
Creating your own jewelry and necklaces can be a fun experiment. Once you know the basic techniques, you can create neckpieces from almost any decorative items like beads or shells.
We have a brilliant guide on how to make a necklace that will help you start your jewelry-making journey. We cover everything from planning out your project gathering your supplies to different ways you can create a unique necklace.
So, let’s dive in and learn how to make a necklace.
Planning Out Your Project
Before you can start making your neckpieces, you need to plan it out in your mind. This will help you analyze all supplies you will need for your project. If you start making necklaces without any design in mind, there is a good chance that you’ll end up all confused.
You can look up inspirations online and draft a rough sketch of your necklace while learning how to make a necklace. Based on this outline, you should decide on the supplies you need for your necklace project.
Gathering Your Supplies
Options and designs of creating your own necklace are endless. You can pick up wooden beads and string them together to make a boho necklace. You can also use your old brooches as necklace pendants and create a vintage necklace for yourself.
While learning how to make a necklace, planning out your design is crucial. Once you know what you’re going to use as a decorative item, you can gather your supplies. Apart from them, there are a few essential pieces of equipment that you should keep handy while learning how to make a necklace.
- Plain necklace chain
- Embroidery thread
- Glue gun
- Connecting rings
- Small wooden skewer
- Small pliers
- A pair of scissors
Basic Necklace Making Techniques
Once you have planned out your necklace design, it is time to start making a unique and beautiful necklace for yourself. This section of how to make a necklace will discuss interesting techniques of this DIY project.
Find a tutor for this topic
Making a Beaded Necklace
Beaded necklaces are one of the easiest and most popular necklace-making techniques. All you need is beading thread, wire cutters, beads of your choice, and closure or clasp.
It’s time to make a beaded necklace in this section of how to make a necklace.
- For creating a beaded necklace, you can either use an embroidery thread or a wire. No matter what you choose, make sure that your beads are big enough to fit into them. If you are using a beading thread, you can use a nylon fishing line thread, cotton thread, or a stretchy one. You can also choose copper or aluminum wires to make a base for your bead necklace.
- Depending on the necklace you want to make, you need to measure the length of thread required. You should always cut the thread a little longer than you want your finished neckpiece to be. This gives you enough material to work with.
- You can choose any type of beads you want for your necklace. You can select wooden beads if you want a boho or a vintage look. For a more modern look, you can choose crimp beads.
- Insert one end of the wire or thread through the end of the clasp and tie a knot. You will have the first end of the clasp in place, preventing your stringed beads from falling off.
- Start adding beads to your wire in the order you have planned. You can create interesting patterns with your beads by either alternating their colours or using different shapes.
- Once you are done beading, secure the end of the necklace by attaching the clasp. You can do this by inserting the end of the wire through the clasp and tying a knot.
Making a Pendant Necklace
Pendant necklaces are usually statement pieces and look good no matter what you wear them with. While learning how to make a necklace, you should try out these types of necklaces. All you need is a chain or fabric cord, wire cutters, pendant, and lobster clasp.
It’s time to make a pendant necklace in this section of how to make a necklace.
- For the base material of your necklace, you can either choose a chain or fabric cord. If you are using a chain, try selecting ones made of silver, gold, copper, or aluminum. These are more durable than other metals. If you use a fabric cord, you can choose a hemp or nylon cord for your necklace.
- Now you have to choose the length of your necklace and cut the base material accordingly. You can make them short, so the lowest point is right at the centre of your collarbone. Or you can opt for long ones that go down to your belly button. Depending upon the length you want for your neckpiece, cut your base material with wire cutters or scissors.
- Once your chain is ready, you now need to select a pendant. You should always select a more petite pendant for shorter necklaces and more oversized pendants for long necklaces. While choosing a pendant, make sure that it complements your style and the other pieces you might add to your necklace.
- Now slide your chosen pendant to the chain of your necklace. Slide it to the centre. You can also add other design elements of your choice, like beads or smaller pendants.
- Secure the ends of your necklace to ensure the pendants do not fall out. If you have used a fabric cord to create a long chain, you can simply tie the two ends together. However, you should ensure that the necklace is big enough to go over your head.
- If you have used a chain, you need to attach a lobster clasp to secure it. You can use jump rings, fishhook clasps, or S-hook to secure your necklace.
Making a Stone and Tassel Necklace
Making a necklace out of stones or tassels gives your finished piece a modern and minimalist look. All you need is a crystal of your choice, adhesive, bamboo skewer, bead cap, embroidery thread, connecting ring, and a chain. First, you should plan out your design and create your necklace piece.
It’s time to make a stone and tassel necklace in this section of how to make a necklace.
- Place the crystal of your choice and the bead cap on your workstation. With a bamboo skewer, carefully apply a little adhesive to the underside of your bead cap. Carefully stick it to the top of your stone.
- Once the glue has dried up a little, you need to bend the edges of the bead cap, depending upon the shape of your crystal.
- Use a connector ring, loop it to the top of the bead cap, and close the loop with a pair of pliers. Your crystal stone pendant is now ready.
- To make a tassel, cut many embroidery threads the same length.
- Once you have a nice bunch of strings, fold them in half. The folded end will form the top of your tassel.
- Now slip a connecting ring to the top of the tassel. With a separate piece of thread, tie the top to complete your tassel pendant. Double knot the string to ensure that it stays in place. Trim off the excess length you have on the tassel until you are satisfied with the size. Your tassel pendant is not ready.
- Now take a chain to attach these pendants. You can either select a plain chain piece and then add clasps or buy a readymade one with attached clasps.
- Keep the chain on your workstation and figure its midpoint. Now attach your pendants to the chain via the connecting rings, using your small pliers. Ensure that the rings are closed completely and that your pendants don’t fall off.
Making a Floating Bead Necklace
A floating bead necklace is an eye-catching piece that you can customize to your liking. All you need is a thin nylon or steel cable, crimp beads and stone or glass pearl beads. You’ll also need a clasp, jump rings, wire cutters, and crimping pliers.
It’s time to make a floating bead necklace in this section of how to make a necklace.
- Place the wire, clasp, and crimp bead on your workstation. Now slide both the clasp and the crimp bead to your string. Push the small end through the crimp bead and form a loop. Make it tight by pulling it slightly.
- With the help of crimping pliers, crimp the beads to secure the clasp.
- Now plan out how much space you need between your beads. Depending upon your design, mark the points where your beads will be inserted.
- Now put a crimp bead on the string to place your glass bead. Flatten out the bead with crimping pliers.
- Now slide in the glass bead.
- Attach another crimp bead to the other end of the glass bead. Make sure that your bead is secure between the two crimp beads, and then flatten it out to secure it.
- Continue to attach beads the same way all throughout your necklace. Ensure that you leave at least 2 inches of string at the end to connect the other part of the clasp.
- Now close your necklace by sliding a crimp bead and a clasp to the string. Push the open end through the crimp bead and form a loop. Make it tight by pulling it slightly. Now crimp the bead with a pair of pliers to secure the clasp.
- Wipe off the marked areas on your string with alcohol and cotton. Your floating bead necklace is now ready.
Making a Shell Necklace
Seashell necklaces make a beautiful and unique piece of jewelry. You can customize your own necklace the way you like and wear it on a beach or a hot summer day. While learning how to make a necklace, this is one of the most accessible types. You will need seashells, additional decorations like beads, a durable necklace cord, jump ring, clasps, drill and a drill bit, and a pair of nose pliers.
Before you can start making a shell necklace, you need to pick up shells that you will add to your necklace. You can select different types, colors, and sizes of shells. This is just a matter of personal preference.
If you want to make a pendant necklace, choosing a slightly bigger shell would be a good idea. However, if you’re going to create a bold necklace, you can add multiple medium-sized shells to your neckpiece.
When you learn how to make a necklace, you can be more creative and add other decorations to your seashell necklace. You can either add a group of tiny beads or alternate your seashells with larger beads. It all depends upon the design you have planned.
Coming to the base of the necklace, you can decide to go all beachy and eco-friendly and use a jute string. If you want your necklace to be more durable, you can choose metal chains made out of silver or gold.
It is now time to assemble your seashell necklace in this section of how to make a necklace.
- To string your shells to the cord, you will need to drill a small hole in your seashells. You can use a marker or a pencil to mark the spot on each shell before drilling a hole.
- Place your shell on your workstation, and with light pressure, drill a small hole in the shell. You should always start drilling on the inside and work your way out.
- With the help of your pliers, stretch a jump ring open and add it to your seashell. This will make it easier for you to add them to your chain. Make sure that you close the jump ring properly with your pliers.
- Repeat the same procedure for all the seashells and add jump rings.
- Once your seashells are ready, it is time to string them. You can start adding beads and shells to your necklace based on your planned design. Make sure that your necklace is balanced at all times.
- When you have added your seashells and beads to the necklace, it’s time to close it up by adding a clasp. Slide a crimp bead and a clasp to the string. Push the open end through the crimp bead and form a loop. Make it tight by pulling it slightly. Now crimp the bead with a pair of pliers to secure the clasp.
- Repeat this with the other end as well. Your shell necklace is now complete.
Learning how to make a necklace is a great DIY activity for creating customized neckpieces based on your personality and style. If you want to learn more about necklace techniques, you can take a 1:1 lesson from an online tutor. This will help you be clear with the basic techniques and the small tips and tricks.
Lrnkey, an online tutoring platform, offers online tutorials for beginners and advanced jewellery enthusiasts. These one-on-one lessons hosted by expert tutors help you learn everything there is to make a necklace or other jewellery pieces.
What do you need to make a simple necklace?
To make a simple necklace you’ll need:
- String or wire
- Beads and charms
- Crimp beads
- What should I use to make a necklace?
To make a necklace you can use lots of different materials. Some of our favorites are:
- Beaded string
- Polymer clay pendants
- Wire with floating beads
- Epoxy resin pendants
- How do you make a simple necklace chain?
To make a simple necklace chain you’ll need interlocking metal links or wire. It’s not easy to piece together all of the small links and you’ll want to make sure the metal or wire you are using is firm enough so it doesn’t bend and lose grip on the other chain links.
How do you make a string necklace?
To make a string necklace get some string, beads and charms, scissors, and some clasps. Attach one clasp to the end of the string. Then string your beads and charms in a beautiful pattern onto the string until it’s full. Then attach the other clasp to the final end of the string so the beads don’t fall off.
How do you make a pendant necklace?
To make a pendant necklace get a wire or string and attach a clasp to one end. Then string on the pendant you want to use. You can allow the pendant to swing along with the necklace freely or you can keep it in place by putting small tight beads or crimped stoppers on both sides of the pendant so it doesn’t leave its place on the string. Last, attach the other clasp to the final end of your necklace.
Like this post? Share with your friends